Likes and dislikes

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Likes and dislikes

by tmesis » 12 Jun 2022 13:54

Winston Biscuit
Green
Sanguine
100%. I tend to read the term 'bottled' or 'choked' and just assume that the contributor is simple.

Is there a term you would deem acceptable for someone (or a team) who's competed well below their ability level due to the pressure of the occasion?

What you are describing there is bottling it. My dislike was anyone losing at something being described as bottling it no matter how the loss came about

Agreed. "Bottling" is about making mistakes or freezing under pressure, not just failing to succeed.

BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

by BROB0T » 13 Jun 2022 00:28

tmesis
Winston Biscuit
Green Is there a term you would deem acceptable for someone (or a team) who's competed well below their ability level due to the pressure of the occasion?

What you are describing there is bottling it. My dislike was anyone losing at something being described as bottling it no matter how the loss came about

Agreed. "Bottling" is about making mistakes or freezing under pressure, not just failing to succeed.

What's the test for bottling it...rather than just being outplayed or using the wrong tactics or just not doing it that night for some other reason (fatigue, injuries etc)

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 13 Jun 2022 08:34

Winston Biscuit
Green
Sanguine
100%. I tend to read the term 'bottled' or 'choked' and just assume that the contributor is simple.

Is there a term you would deem acceptable for someone (or a team) who's competed well below their ability level due to the pressure of the occasion?

Exactly. 'Bottled it' has come to be used to mean 'lost'.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 14 Jun 2022 09:11

If you're strong favourites going in to the tie I think you can usually make a case for "bottling" it.

Or if you're a perennial nearly man - Jimmy White anyone?

Indeed frequent occasions of "bottling" it can label you a "bottlejob". Sometimes perhaps unfairly but there we are - sport can be cruel.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 14 Jun 2022 16:04

And that leads me to one of my favourite recent commentator quotes :

“Football, bloody hell”
Gary Neville - 22/05/2022

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 27 Jun 2022 19:07

the seemingly never ending promoting of a players brand resulting in things like short videos of them running or in the gym during the summer along with comments like 'hard work never rests'

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 27 Jun 2022 21:21

The comments section on twitter posts seem to get worse and worse every year.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 14 Feb 2023 10:22

dislikes: the handful of players who are only ever referred to by their full name. Barry Bannon has been the king of this for the past decade but Solly March looks like taking his crown

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 14 Feb 2023 10:47

Winston Biscuit dislikes: the handful of players who are only ever referred to by their full name. Barry Bannon has been the king of this for the past decade but Solly March looks like taking his crown

'Trent' does the same for me

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 14 Feb 2023 10:50

Franchise FC
Winston Biscuit dislikes: the handful of players who are only ever referred to by their full name. Barry Bannon has been the king of this for the past decade but Solly March looks like taking his crown

+10000000000
I know its a lot of syllables for Carragher to cope with but use his surname.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 Feb 2023 18:15

Assist stats annoy me enough already but this 'goal involvement' stat which is done to pretend an assist has equal value as a goal actual has me on the verge of anger

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Feb 2023 20:05

Ha! Never thought about that but yeah, weird how that happens.

Thinking back, Micah Richards may have been one.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Feb 2023 10:23

Dislike: The lack of showmanship on display in the Premier League. Not a fan of everything when it comes to the NFL but I do enjoy the pomp and ceremony pre-game. Would really like home sides in the Premier League to have their own entrance themes to come out the tunnel to or specific player entrance, get the away team out first to a chorus of boos etc.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 17 Feb 2023 10:30

Skewed football statistics and graphs. e.g. "This is what the league would look like if it started in June." Or, "Leading goalscorers since Erling Haaland returned from injury (away games only)".

Makes no sense whatsoever. It's for people who like simple, colourful bar graphs (and to see Liverpool at the top of the league again*)

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 17 Feb 2023 10:39

Franchise FC

'Jack'

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Feb 2023 10:41

Think it was Glenn Hoddle when he used to do a lot of commentary that used to piss me off calling every player by their first name.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Feb 2023 10:49

BraisingsteakRoyal Skewed football statistics and graphs. e.g. "This is what the league would look like if it started in June." Or, "Leading goalscorers since Erling Haaland returned from injury (away games only)".

Makes no sense whatsoever. It's for people who like simple, colourful bar graphs (and to see Liverpool at the top of the league again*)

Agree to an extent. I don’t necessarily mind: “Since player x entered the league they’ve got more goals/assists than anyone else, here’s the rest” but yeah any convoluted ones can get in the bin.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Feb 2023 10:50

On a slightly different note, is Paul Gascoigne the only prominent English player to be better known and referred to by their nickname? Probably missing someone obvious.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Feb 2023 10:57

NathStPaul On a slightly different note, is Paul Gascoigne the only prominent English player to be better known and referred to by their nickname? Probably missing someone obvious.

Maybe Becks?

Although loads of people will still know him/refer to him as "Beckham"

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Feb 2023 10:58

Hendo
NathStPaul On a slightly different note, is Paul Gascoigne the only prominent English player to be better known and referred to by their nickname? Probably missing someone obvious.

Maybe Becks?

Although loads of people will still know him/refer to him as "Beckham"

I guess Stuart Pearce would qualify. I definitely remember him being referred to as "Psycho" on commentary and in punditry. Not sure you'd get away with that nickname today.