Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

Re: Luis Suarez - scumbag

by YateleyRoyal » 17 Oct 2011 11:56

Mr Angry
YateleyRoyal
Mr Angry
Er....didn't Ghana miss the penalty??

See, I keep having this argument with my mates. Yes, they did miss the penalty, but the point is that the ball WOULD have crossed the line and Ghana WOULD have taken the lead if Suarez hadn't handballed, and in all likelihood they would have won the game. However, what was a certain goal was replaced with a chance of a goal, which Ghana squandered.

Their argument is that Uruguay were punished according to the laws of the game, and Ghana didnt take advantage, but I believe that the laws of the game were wrong. IMO this is worse in some ways than the hand of God, even though Suarez was punished, he deliberately stopped the other team winning, whereas Maradona only put his team in the lead and England had all the chances to equalise.

So you are advocating a change to the laws of a game that would mean if a ball was going in, rather than a penalty, a penalty goal gets given?

Except of course, who would decide that the ball was going in? The ref? What if the ref was unsighted? TV cameras? Oh...... back to that old chestnut again.

The whole issue about red cards for preventing goal scoring opportunities began when Paul Allen, then 17 and playing for West Ham against Arsenal in an FA Cup Final, got chopped down when through on goal; iirc, Jimmy Hill demanded a more fitting punishment then a free kick and a booking. As with many knee jerk laws, this has led to far more controversy then it solves; how many times a season do players get carded when they shouldn't, or where there are arguments about whether a player was the last man or not etc etc...

..........players have always cheated and always will, and sadly apart from heavier and heavier bans for players doing things like Suarez did, there is no stopping it.

Having just watched it again, there was no doubt that the ball was crossing the line. And before you start, I'm all for video refereeing.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 17 Oct 2011 14:07

I've never understood why they don't change the rule and award a penalty goal. As in this case the punishment didn't suit the crime as it was the last minute so going down to ten men didn't hurt Uruaguay. As for Suarez he reminds me of Tevez.....enough said.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 17 Oct 2011 14:09

Jackson Corner I've never understood why they don't change the rule and award a penalty goal. As in this case the punishment didn't suit the crime as it was the last minute so going down to ten men didn't hurt Uruaguay. As for Suarez he reminds me of Tevez.....enough said.

+1

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Oct 2011 14:29

Is this the same Patrice Evra, who cries "racism" when any one looks at him, screams like a girl and clutches his shin whenever anyone cames near him and, as captain of his country, throws a hissy fit and leads a player revolt at a major tournament because he and his pissy, overpaid team-mates have underperformed dreadfully and are unable to accept any repsonsibility for their own actions.

Whilst allegedly hurling racist abuse oversteps the mark, Evra is one of the more punchable goons in the Premier League

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Oct 2011 14:41

YateleyRoyal
Jackson Corner I've never understood why they don't change the rule and award a penalty goal. As in this case the punishment didn't suit the crime as it was the last minute so going down to ten men didn't hurt Uruaguay. As for Suarez he reminds me of Tevez.....enough said.

+1

As someone said before, in what situations would you rule that a penalty goal be awarded instead of a penalty?

What distance does from the goal does the handball become goal preventing and how to you deem it was on target?

The Ghana 'goal' was obviously going in, but there will be many more marginal decisions that need to be catered for by any rule change.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 17 Oct 2011 17:25

On a similar subject I hate the way an outfield player can try to save the ball on the line but if the ball goes in they do not get a red card as they did not stop the goal. The player still tried to cheat, being rubbish at cheating is not a reason to get away with it.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Oct 2011 17:45

SymonsO I would say a penalty goal should be awarded if in the referees opinion the ball would have crossed the line if a foul was not committed.

Of course it's open to interpretation but I would imagine there are very few instances where a player stops a "goal" and it isn't clear. It would be on a par with the "last man" ruling.

Almost every decision a ref makes is open to interpretation so that argument is of course total balls.

If FIFA had the desire to do it they could find a way to appropriately punish all the cheats but they are complacent idiots with no vision, stuck in the last century when they used to play football themselves.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Oct 2011 18:02

I was agreeing with you! Guess that didn't come across very well!!

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 20 Oct 2011 16:11

Dalglish interview today saying Liverpool are 100% behind Suarez. So they're a racist club.

Scylla

by Scylla » 20 Oct 2011 22:36

No Fixed Abode Dalglish interview today saying Liverpool are 100% behind Suarez. So they're a racist club.

Welcome aboard.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 31 Oct 2011 22:56

The key part of that sentence is 'the Mirror understands', which might be considered as reliable as asking a five year old about quantum physics.

That said, if that is the case, Suarez has some very rapid cultural orientation to take care of.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 01 Nov 2011 07:55

The word Negro means Black in spanish and portuguese so he has an argument if he wasn't speaking english

But then we don't know what else was said, if he called him a black oxf*rd in Spanish it's still horridly racist

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Nov 2011 11:58

I'm assuming his defence is that in his general usage the word is more like calling someone, for example, 'brother' as opposed to the n word.

I can't see that holding much water as a defence though. If it wasn't as insulting then you'd have to ask why he was calling Evra it in the first place. It's not like he's just having a civilised chat with him, he's having a running row and presumably having a pop at him.

Sounds like a case of trying to wriggly out of it. It's a slightly better defence than Terry claiming he was saying "I didn't call you a b......".

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 01 Nov 2011 12:01

Hoop Blah I'm assuming his defence is that in his general usage the word is more like calling someone, for example, 'brother' as opposed to the n word.

I can't see that holding much water as a defence though. If it wasn't as insulting then you'd have to ask why he was calling Evra it in the first place. It's not like he's just having a civilised chat with him, he's having a running row and presumably having a pop at him.

Sounds like a case of trying to wriggly out of it. It's a slightly better defence than Terry claiming he was saying "I didn't call you a b......".

Surely they could just call on their friends at the Spanish FA to understand racism a little better........oh

Scylla

by Scylla » 01 Nov 2011 14:02

Four days to read the Mirror. That's some reading age.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 01 Nov 2011 14:13

soggy biscuit
Surely they could just call on their friends at the Spanish FA to understand racism a little better........oh

Easily one of the most annoying traits on HNA this. The "oh" symbolising shock/confusion...even though you know exactly what you are going to write..as does everyone else. :roll:

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 01 Nov 2011 18:02

nominated for the Ballon d'or :?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 02 Nov 2011 08:23

No Fixed Abode Dalglish interview today saying Liverpool are 100% behind Suarez. So they're a racist club.

Ironies.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 02 Nov 2011 16:01

Has this case been handed over to police?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Nov 2011 00:39

papereyes

Ironies.

Let that be a lesson to ya kessy baby. Keep your words soft and sweet because one day you might have to eat 'em.

1239 posts