Weekend Football

5739 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Weekend Football

by Hendo » 06 Mar 2024 09:56

Winston Biscuit 'scanning' might just have overtaken 'goal involvements' as my most hated thing in all of football

What is scanning?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 06 Mar 2024 10:05

Hendo
Winston Biscuit 'scanning' might just have overtaken 'goal involvements' as my most hated thing in all of football

What is scanning?

scanning, as in scanning around to see what pass is on. People on social media have started pretending they know where a player is looking and showing what great 'scanners' of the game their favourite players is. And now we even have 'scan stats' to show which footballers are the best at, well, looking.

I reckon we are only a small step away from having breathing stats. 'yeah you might have got a winner against us, but did you see Bruno's V02 max stats?!' etc

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Mar 2024 10:34

Hendo

What is scanning?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Mar 2024 10:36

Winston Biscuit
Hendo

What is scanning?

scanning, as in scanning around to see what pass is on. People on social media have started pretending they know where a player is looking and showing what great 'scanners' of the game their favourite players is. And now we even have 'scan stats' to show which footballers are the best at, well, looking.

I reckon we are only a small step away from having breathing stats. 'yeah you might have got a winner against us, but did you see Bruno's V02 max stats?!' etc

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 06 Mar 2024 10:36

True story - I have a colleague who is a big QPR fan and has recently found he has some kind of heart problem and is due an op shortly to fix it. As part of whats happened he has been told to try and stay as stress free as he can while he is waiting for the op. The doctor actually told him he had to stop going to games and stop following results all together as being emotionally invested in a club going through a relegation battle was not doing him any good

I was just messaging him asking how things are and he said he knows QPR are doing badly but doesn't know anything else apart from that. no idea on results, league placing etc, just keeps away from it all completely now. we obv did some classic lolz around 'how sh*t must your club be that your doctor tells you to stay away' etc :lol:

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 06 Mar 2024 11:35

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Mar 2024 11:37

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Mar 2024 12:11

paultheroyal
Winston Biscuit Amazing stuff from Shef Wed who looked dead and buried a while back. unfortunately they have Leeds and Ipswich next so that good run will probably come to an end.

Their young German manager may be offered some better jobs in the summer

Agree, they have done amazing. Equally QPR have put up a brilliant fight. Smart managerial changes. Stoke look absolutely stuck and they could be the biggie that falls, Plymouth also looking stale and getting dragged back in after pushing away 10 games ago.

Would be quite something is the Schumacher move from Stoke to Plymouth leads to both clubs dropping.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 07 Mar 2024 07:32

Excuse my ignorance, but WTF is that ?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 07 Mar 2024 07:36

Winston Biscuit True story - I have a colleague who is a big QPR fan and has recently found he has some kind of heart problem and is due an op shortly to fix it. As part of whats happened he has been told to try and stay as stress free as he can while he is waiting for the op. The doctor actually told him he had to stop going to games and stop following results all together as being emotionally invested in a club going through a relegation battle was not doing him any good

I was just messaging him asking how things are and he said he knows QPR are doing badly but doesn't know anything else apart from that. no idea on results, league placing etc, just keeps away from it all completely now. we obv did some classic lolz around 'how sh*t must your club be that your doctor tells you to stay away' etc :lol:

True story … in the lead up to my heart op, watching ANY football would raise my heart rate and cause some serious discomfort. Pity because I missed some of the excitement of ‘that’ Leicester season.
3 days post op watched a live (tv) game with no ill effects whatsoever

Tell him that the fix is marvellous and that he’ll be back biting his nails and shouting at the tv in no time

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 07 Mar 2024 09:08

Anyone know why Super Sunday ko times have gone wonky? Manchester derby kicked off at 3:30, Liverpool v Citeh is 3:45

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 07 Mar 2024 09:13

Silver Fox Anyone know why Super Sunday ko times have gone wonky? Manchester derby kicked off at 3:30, Liverpool v Citeh is 3:45

Probably to appease the international audience.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Mar 2024 09:15

Silver Fox Anyone know why Super Sunday ko times have gone wonky? Manchester derby kicked off at 3:30, Liverpool v Citeh is 3:45

Police advice - linked to fans safety. Arrival of the teams coaches to attempt to not have it pelted by missiles etc etc. Not sure what the time change makes to that - but that's the reason.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 07 Mar 2024 09:16

'pparently the 3.45pm this Sunday is a police request. Not sure how that 45 minutes makes the game that much easier to deal with.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 07 Mar 2024 09:50

:| Even Spacey's only going to manage 3 less pints

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Mar 2024 10:21

Franchise FC

But essentially another load of meaningless statistics for some people to wet themselves over.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 07 Mar 2024 11:02

1 game left in the Isles Of Scilly season where there are only 2 teams, and they play each other 14 times, and currentlt the teams are level on points with Garrison Gunners top on goal difference

:o

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Mar 2024 13:24

Winston Biscuit 1 game left in the Isles Of Scilly season where there are only 2 teams, and they play each other 14 times
:o

Just like the Scottish Premiership amirite?!

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 07 Mar 2024 14:20

Franchise FC

it's literally looking over your shoulder etc. having an awareness of what's going on

It's one of those things you think is bullshit until you watch Harrry Maguire not doing it and getting continually caught out

As with any stats depends upon how you use them. Say you work out that scanning contributes 3% to player success (however you've chosen to measure this) you can add this to your model.

prediction = (weight_1).factor_1 + (weight_2). factor_2.... + bias

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 07 Mar 2024 15:33

BRO_BOT
Franchise FC

it's literally looking over your shoulder etc. having an awareness of what's going on

It's one of those things you think is bullshit until you watch Harrry Maguire not doing it and getting continually caught out

As with any stats depends upon how you use them. Say you work out that scanning contributes 3% to player success (however you've chosen to measure this) you can add this to your model.

prediction = (weight_1).factor_1 + (weight_2). factor_2.... + bias

Are you seriously suggesting that there is someone watching each and every player for every minute of the game, checking whether they are checking ?
If so that is :shock:
If not, then the stat is completely useless (even if it’s not useless by default)

5739 posts