706 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Freebies

by Stranded » 01 Jun 2022 13:35

Pepe the Horseman
Stranded
Brogue Andre Gray Has been released by Watford I see someone mentioned him on the previous page too. Would imagine he could be in our price range and would be imo a great acquisition for us all things considered.

Footy Insider 24 claiming we are interested along with Brum and Cardiff.

He feels like a Birmingham player to me. Can't explain why.

Yep, can see what you mean.

179 goals in 492 games is not to be sniffed at though. 31 at the end of the month.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Jun 2022 13:42

Stranded
Pepe the Horseman
Stranded

179 goals in 492 games is not to be sniffed at though. 31 at the end of the month.

Yeh, not knocking him, just mean if you'd told me he'd been at Birmingham for the last two seasons I'd probably believe you.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jun 2022 17:56

YorkshireRoyal99 Mentioned it elsewhere but, players are likely to take a wage drop, even in demands, especially dropping down a division as an unattached player as well. There was no way that QPR were paying all of his wages on loan last season, probably half. I know he will have still be earning £30k a week, with Watford paying the rest, but players will know what Championship clubs can/can't afford these days and agents know what deals they could get.

I could guess Gray would demand something between £10-15k p/w. Maybe a bit pricey for what we can offer, but maybe not if it's on the low end.

I think you're a good £7k low on that estimate.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 01 Jun 2022 19:50

I wonder if we’ll end up with any of the players mentioned on here. I saw that Wolves released Romain Saiss yesterday. Of course he won’t come here but when I see these players being released I can’t help wondering what our squad might look like in a few weeks time. oxf*rd me I need to get a life.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Jun 2022 21:46

blythspartan I wonder if we’ll end up with any of the players mentioned on here. I saw that Wolves released Romain Saiss yesterday. Of course he won’t come here but when I see these players being released I can’t help wondering what our squad might look like in a few weeks time. oxf*rd me I need to get a life.

There will be at least one or two deals this summer that will have you wondering how they pulled it off.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Jun 2022 07:49

Stranded
Pepe the Horseman
Stranded

Wasn’t Gray meant to be a bit of a pace merchant at one time?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Jun 2022 08:03

Sutekh
Stranded
Pepe the Horseman He feels like a Birmingham player to me. Can't explain why.

Wasn’t Gray meant to be a bit of a pace merchant at one time?

Yep, he was pacy. May still be relatively so. Would offer us a lot I think.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 02 Jun 2022 09:21

Anyone think Naby Sarr could be worth a punt?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Jun 2022 09:48

blythspartan Anyone think Naby Sarr could be worth a punt?

He is definitely under the bracket of those we could sign and should probably be actively looking to attract.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jun 2022 10:08

John Ruddy might be a shout for a keeper if he is looking for a new gig

Always rated him but obvs knocking on a bit now at 35

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 02 Jun 2022 10:33

Stranded
blythspartan Anyone think Naby Sarr could be worth a punt?

He is definitely under the bracket of those we could sign and should probably be actively looking to attract.

Yes agree, and have always thought he looked a good solid dependable player. You’d hope we could compete to sign players like him.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 02 Jun 2022 22:42

Hopefully he’s better than his father who as we know was a shambles for us.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jun 2022 07:16

JLow reckons we might be interested in Shane long.
Could do a job I suppose, not sure how fit he is nowadays

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 03 Jun 2022 07:55

Like last summer, some were scratching their heads on how we were able to get Rahman and Drinkwater, under the predicament we was in.

This summer we have already saved over £100k a week, one or two OOC players will sign on but we will still make a huge saving over the course of the season with the wages off the book. I, like others, think that this will put us in a position where we can attract good players on loan or 1 year deals. If we get rid off a handful of other high contract players then the rebuild can truly begin.

The fact we need a full on 11 players for either depth or starting roles is scary and the hope in the next two weeks that these will be filled.

I am really looking forward to next season

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Jun 2022 08:31

Hound JLow reckons we might be interested in Shane long.

He definitely has a Bowen shaped source these days so looks likely.

If it works out, hope it isn't the mistake it feels to me like it would be - will be ecstatic to be wrong.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 03 Jun 2022 10:34

Repeating the same mistakes imo. He hasn’t played a 30+ game season since 2017. Would be delighted if he proved me wrong, just don’t think Long will spend much time out of the treatment room.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 03 Jun 2022 10:36

Stranded
Hound JLow reckons we might be interested in Shane long.

He definitely has a Bowen shaped source these days so looks likely.

If it works out, hope it isn't the mistake it feels to me like it would be - will be ecstatic to be wrong.

Agree with this. I might be misremembering but he always seems to be injured a lot which is what we don’t need. It would be interesting to know whether he actually was available for selection for most of last season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jun 2022 18:24

mikey0406 Like last summer, some were scratching their heads on how we were able to get Rahman and Drinkwater, under the predicament we was in.

This summer we have already saved over £100k a week, one or two OOC players will sign on but we will still make a huge saving over the course of the season with the wages off the book. I, like others, think that this will put us in a position where we can attract good players on loan or 1 year deals. If we get rid off a handful of other high contract players then the rebuild can truly begin.

The fact we need a full on 11 players for either depth or starting roles is scary and the hope in the next two weeks that these will be filled.

Shame we need to save about £300k a week

On Strings

by On Strings » 04 Jun 2022 00:21

mikey0406 I am really looking forward to next season

Don't worry, that'll pass.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Jun 2022 07:16

Snowflake Royal
mikey0406 Like last summer, some were scratching their heads on how we were able to get Rahman and Drinkwater, under the predicament we was in.

Shame we need to save about £300k a week

We need to reduce the wage bill by 5 million compared to last season. Which looks a lot like 100k a week.
I think you are looking at the 20-21 figure for wages and not accounting for what was saved last season. It’s reasonable to think we got close to the £21 million figure last season as we’d have been hit by the extra 6 point deduction if we were way off.

706 posts