Freebies

706 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Freebies

by NathStPaul » 13 Jun 2022 12:41

Andre Gray on the verge of joining Preston.

Anyone know if Deniss Rakels is available?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Jun 2022 12:43

Stranded
morganb https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/reading-paul-ince-middlesbrough-signing-24210864

It is understood Middlesbrough goalkeeper Joe Lumley is expected to sign for Royals later this week after nearly a month of talks between the two clubs. The 27-year-old will join Ince's side on a season-long loan deal and is expected to become Reading 's new no.1 for the upcoming 2022/23 Championship season.

Meanwhile, another player linked with Reading over the weekend, Jack Tucker, is not expected to sign for the club.
The 22-year-old Gillingham defender, who is set to become a free agent at the start of July, was a target for Royals but it is understood the two clubs* could not agree on a suitable financial package.

[* This is a JLow story and as such is wrong - should probably read Reading and the player's representative if JT is out of contract]

He is 22. Therefore we would have to pay Gillingham some form of compensation to sign him, as we would with all under 24 year olds.

I would imagine we have tried to negotiate that we would pay any compensation in July '23, or a very small amount up front if allowed.

It's another issue we have to contend with meaning we are realistically looking at loans and free agents over 24.

Why is it with U24's you need to pay a compensation package? What I mean is, could we just not wait until 1st July until he's no longer a Gillingham player and just pick him up for nothing? Likewise Forest "could" do the same if they let Holmes' contract expire and then just pick him up for nothing? I can understand if they are picking him up on a pre-contract agreement (which technically they are) but I still don't understand why we can't just wait until he becomes a free agent officially?

There may be something really obvious I'm missing there though to be fair, I haven't checked the rules or anything.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Jun 2022 12:54

YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded
morganb https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/reading-paul-ince-middlesbrough-signing-24210864

It is understood Middlesbrough goalkeeper Joe Lumley is expected to sign for Royals later this week after nearly a month of talks between the two clubs. The 27-year-old will join Ince's side on a season-long loan deal and is expected to become Reading 's new no.1 for the upcoming 2022/23 Championship season.

Meanwhile, another player linked with Reading over the weekend, Jack Tucker, is not expected to sign for the club.
The 22-year-old Gillingham defender, who is set to become a free agent at the start of July, was a target for Royals but it is understood the two clubs* could not agree on a suitable financial package.

[* This is a JLow story and as such is wrong - should probably read Reading and the player's representative if JT is out of contract]

He is 22. Therefore we would have to pay Gillingham some form of compensation to sign him, as we would with all under 24 year olds.

I would imagine we have tried to negotiate that we would pay any compensation in July '23, or a very small amount up front if allowed.

It's another issue we have to contend with meaning we are realistically looking at loans and free agents over 24.

Why is it with U24's you need to pay a compensation package? What I mean is, could we just not wait until 1st July until he's no longer a Gillingham player and just pick him up for nothing? Likewise Forest "could" do the same if they let Holmes' contract expire and then just pick him up for nothing? I can understand if they are picking him up on a pre-contract agreement (which technically they are) but I still don't understand why we can't just wait until he becomes a free agent officially?

There may be something really obvious I'm missing there though to be fair, I haven't checked the rules or anything.

I'm being slightly flippant with the wording but essentially if a player u24 is offered a deal and turns it down - as Tucker has done, then for him to move on a Bosman, a compensation deal needs to be agreed. There is no set amount unlike EPPP, and clubs normally reach a deal quickly i.e. pay X and/or loan us a player but if the two clubs are far apart in value then it goes to the tribunal who will set a package. This may include a fee, sell-ons, extra payments due on debut or X apperances.

I would expect that we have gone in with a deal to pay say 100k next summer plus a 40% sell on, or even 0 and a high sell on but Gillingham wanted something different, so we walked away as couldn't take the risk of being bound to an amount we can't pay in tribunal.

If a player u24 just leaves a club without a new deal, then he can of course sign as a free agent without any compensation due.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jun 2022 12:56

Stranded

It’s a bit frustrating but again shows where we are. Basically no cash signings at the moment - can’t imagine he’d be expensive bu any stretch

Not sure on Lumley but looks a done deal. Suppose at least we have someone in the door in good time

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 13 Jun 2022 13:12

YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded

For U24s compensation has to be paid to the previous club for the investment they made to their training. The contract situation is not relevant. It's about incentivising clubs to continue to bring players through their academies.

Article below is explaining why previous clubs got money in respect of Harvey Elliott and Danny Ings, who both moved when out of contract.
https://level.law/news/determining-the- ... -players-2

It does mean that if some of our own U23 players leave "for nothing" at the expiration of their contract, after turning down new deals, we would be entitled to get some compensation from the club they sign for, if it's in the EFL / PL - either a negotiated figure directly with the player's new club, or a figure reached by the PFCC.

The reason Omar Richards was so annoying is because he signed for a German club, the above didn't apply.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Jun 2022 13:46

Cheers Stranded and muirinho for explaining, I wasn't aware clubs were entitled to anything if they offered an U24 player a contract, understandable as well for the reasons mentioned. It would also make sense as to why we can't really pursue the deal.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Jun 2022 19:12

That's why we got Swift on a free. Chelsea didn't offer him a contract.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 15 Jun 2022 15:04

Jimmy Giraudon. Defender who captained Troyes to the French 2nd division title in 20/21, wanted to push his career on and went on loan for 6 months to Leganes in Spain, got injured and hardly played, Troyes having financial problems and he is one of a number of players they are letting go for free this summer

Auxerre, who just went up to the French top division, are reportedly after him

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Jun 2022 15:36

muirinho
YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded

For U24s compensation has to be paid to the previous club for the investment they made to their training. The contract situation is not relevant. It's about incentivising clubs to continue to bring players through their academies.

Article below is explaining why previous clubs got money in respect of Harvey Elliott and Danny Ings, who both moved when out of contract.

It does mean that if some of our own U23 players leave "for nothing" at the expiration of their contract, after turning down new deals, we would be entitled to get some compensation from the club they sign for, if it's in the EFL / PL - either a negotiated figure directly with the player's new club, or a figure reached by the PFCC.

The reason Omar Richards was so annoying is because he signed for a German club, the above didn't apply.

Isn’t payment due to all the clubs the player has been at ?So Richards joined us at 16 and was at Fulham before that so they also missed out on a chunk of the development money.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 16 Jun 2022 01:09

Nameless
muirinho
YorkshireRoyal99

Isn’t payment due to all the clubs the player has been at ?So Richards joined us at 16 and was at Fulham before that so they also missed out on a chunk of the development money.

This stuff is so flipping complicated, and they keep changing the rules.

There are four separate possible compensation thingys.
(1) when a underage player leaves one academy for another, compensation is paid at fixed rates depending on how many years he was at the academy, and what category the academy is

(2) when a a player signs his first professional contract, and if a player transfers internationally before the end of the season in which they turn 23, sums are payable to each of the clubs that were involved in his training, Richards was already 23 when he went to Bayern. But if he had been 22, say, there would have been money due to both us and Fulham

(3) Solidarity contribution to all clubs involved in training a player, every time a player makes an international transfer. We would have got some of this for Gylfi. If Richards transfers out of the German League, we will get some of this, Fulham will get more. These aren't big sums unless the player goes for megabucks - it's 5% shared across all the clubs involved since the player was 12.

(4) The U24 transfer thingy out of contract thingy where compensation is either agreed between the clubs, or goes to arbitration.

(1) is an academy thing, and applies to English football only, (2) and (3) are Fifa rules & (4) is English football.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Jun 2022 12:09

JLow reporting interest in some ex Swindon LB

Never heard of him tbf but he’s on a free with some half decent experience

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... r-24241535

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jun 2022 13:07

Not sure our Dutch links have born fruit often.

Gravenberch
Kromheer
Drenthe
Van der Kwaak
Clement

Stam

I know he may not be Dutch, but still, any decent signings from there?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Jun 2022 13:16

Joey Vdb was decent enough

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 16 Jun 2022 13:27

Hound JLow reporting interest in some ex Swindon LB

If Burnley are interested I can’t see him choosing us tbh. I really hope we can find some players soon but given our current predicament it’s difficult to see how we can compete for anyone who’s half decent.

As someone has already mentioned I am expecting to see several trialists in preseason games. Saying that, Ince was pretty adamant that he wants a full squad to work with during preseason so maybe we have several players ready to join us.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Jun 2022 13:27

Just to summarise the media stories the latest link is Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill a left back, formerly of Arsenal’s academy and Swindon, now out of contract after a couple of years in Holland with Excelsior. He is now 26 and being tracked by Reading, Burnley and Ipswich. However he may opt to re-sign in Holland if offered a deal as Excelsior were promoted to the Eredivisie through their play-offs last season.

Would agree he’d obviously be more interested in Burnley if anyone but Reading might be able to talk the talk and/or Burnley’s interest might not be that strong. He was born in Sutton though so presumably would have family ties around London which might help Reading’s case!
Last edited by Sutekh on 16 Jun 2022 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Jun 2022 13:30

Bodin?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Jun 2022 13:37

Hound Joey Vdb was decent enough

And Beerens.

I'm also prepared to forgive Drenthe a lot for masterminding an absolute rinsing of Leeds at Elland Rd.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Jun 2022 13:44

blythspartan

If Burnley are interested I can’t see him choosing us tbh. I really hope we can find some players soon but given our current predicament it’s difficult to see how we can compete for anyone who’s half decent.

As someone has already mentioned I am expecting to see several trialists in preseason games. Saying that, Ince was pretty adamant that he wants a full squad to work with during preseason so maybe we have several players ready to join us.

Depends on his reasoning for wanting to come back to England. Looks like he was born in Sutton, so may want to be close to family. Probably quicker to get to Sutton from Rotterdam than it would be from Burnley.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 16 Jun 2022 14:45

Haha, good one.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jun 2022 18:20

Best of the lot by a mile, good shout. Probably describe him as 'mixed' though.

Solid first season, legs not up to the second, but a little unfairly maligned in how badly he was rated for it.

And Beerens actively good from FDTW, unfairly ruined by Stam ludicrously playing him as a striker early in the second season and then scapegoating him for unsurprisingly not being good at it.

706 posts