YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: January transfer window 2023

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Jan 2023 11:55

tmesis
Franchise FC
From Despair To Where? And Bristol Rovers value Collins at £5m

Value is what someone will pay, not what is asked

That depends on whether they are looking to sell. If not, we would have to meet their asking price.

Yep. The selling club holds the cards ultimately as to whether they sell or not, so if they value him at x price, then they can sell for that.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 Jan 2023 12:02

YorkshireRoyal99
tmesis
Franchise FC Value is what someone will pay, not what is asked

That depends on whether they are looking to sell. If not, we would have to meet their asking price.

Yep. The selling club holds the cards ultimately as to whether they sell or not, so if they value him at x price, then they can sell for that.

Unless you overspend, end up in a transfer embargo and can't renew the contract of your player on an £8m release fee.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Jan 2023 12:29

tidus_mi2
YorkshireRoyal99
tmesis That depends on whether they are looking to sell. If not, we would have to meet their asking price.

Unless you overspend, end up in a transfer embargo and can't renew the contract of your player on an £8m release fee.

Well yeah of course, barring clauses or restrictions.

Wisconsin Royal

by Wisconsin Royal » 04 Jan 2023 23:25

Stranded Total made up rumour from totally made up Twitter account but hey the window's open so why not.

Apparently, we are looking to hijack Aaron Long's move to LAFC - he left NY Red Bulls at the end of their season so is available as a free - we were interested 2 years back allegedly - 30 year old CB.

Was NYRB captain and has 29 caps for the US.

Solid player, lost starting gig right before the World Cup to Tim Ream (who ended up being excellent). Better than Miazga.

Yes for me, though I am partisan.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 05 Jan 2023 09:56

Wisconsin Royal
Stranded Total made up rumour from totally made up Twitter account but hey the window's open so why not.

Apparently, we are looking to hijack Aaron Long's move to LAFC - he left NY Red Bulls at the end of their season so is available as a free - we were interested 2 years back allegedly - 30 year old CB.

Solid player, lost starting gig right before the World Cup to Tim Ream (who ended up being excellent). Better than Miazga.

Is he quick ?
30 suggests that may be debatable

If not, no thanks

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Jan 2023 17:07

Franchise FC
Wisconsin Royal

Is he quick ?

If not, no thanks

With 8 senior centre backs (of varying types) already plus several decent youngsters I woukd wonder whether another one is actually essential…..

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jan 2023 17:48

YorkshireRoyal99 I think it's a bit harsh to say McIntyre has regressed, Holmes has just surpassed him defensively. I do think McIntyre is less reluctant to try and play out from the back, whereas Holmes is very much safety first.

I think McIntyre is doing alright in the main, some strong games, some not so good games/moments, although I can't think there has been many times where I've thought he's been our best player in any game this season, whereas there's probably a few with Holmes.

IMO, much like last season Holmes' problems were Clownovic's defensive set up and a total lack of support exposing him, McIntyre has struggled this season when out at wing back and exposed to pace or asked to be attacking, or at LCB and exposed to pace into the channel behind the upfield wing back.

I don't think he's gone backward or playing badly. I just think the way he's been used exposes his weaknesses and doesn't much play to his strengths.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jan 2023 19:16

Mcintyres generally been pretty good this season - still has games (Rotherham away for example) where he looks absolutely useless but 90% time he has done a decent job

Wisconsin Royal

by Wisconsin Royal » 05 Jan 2023 22:13

Franchise FC
Wisconsin Royal

Is he quick ?

If not, no thanks

He is pretty quick. But it does not seem to be a position of need, unless there are outgoings.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Jan 2023 07:49

Wisconsin Royal
Franchise FC
Wisconsin Royal

Is he quick ?

If not, no thanks

He is pretty quick. But it does not seem to be a position of need, unless there are outgoings.

It could become one in the summer though.

Dann & Moore likely to leave. Hutchinson injury prone and seen primarily as a CDM.

Yiadom more a RB that can play CB.

We could realistically end up with just Sarr, Holmes and McIntyre as CB options in the summer. So if there is the chance to add quality for free now, we should be looking. Need to have an eye on next season too, else the summer becomes more difficult than it may already be in terms of numbers needed.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Jan 2023 08:31

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 I think it's a bit harsh to say McIntyre has regressed, Holmes has just surpassed him defensively. I do think McIntyre is less reluctant to try and play out from the back, whereas Holmes is very much safety first.

I think McIntyre is doing alright in the main, some strong games, some not so good games/moments, although I can't think there has been many times where I've thought he's been our best player in any game this season, whereas there's probably a few with Holmes.

IMO, much like last season Holmes' problems were Clownovic's defensive set up and a total lack of support exposing him, McIntyre has struggled this season when out at wing back and exposed to pace or asked to be attacking, or at LCB and exposed to pace into the channel behind the upfield wing back.

I don't think he's gone backward or playing badly. I just think the way he's been used exposes his weaknesses and doesn't much play to his strengths.

Yeah like any player really, just look at Joao this season. Probably hasn't got much/any "worse", he's just playing in a system that doesn't suit him. As you say, in McIntyre's case it's just a lack of pace that hinders him at times. Although solid player at this level no doubt.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jan 2023 09:38

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal

Yeah like any player really, just look at Joao this season. Probably hasn't got much/any "worse", he's just playing in a system that doesn't suit him. As you say, in McIntyre's case it's just a lack of pace that hinders him at times. Although solid player at this level no doubt.

Part of Joao's problem is he's fallen into a routine of trying to repeat what worked before and he's become predictable. He also looked a little sluggish and heavier for a while.

If you watch him, he's always trying to hold off and back into the defender so the ball can drop into his chest / feet and looking to let it bounce and roll them. But they know and wrestle back, jostle him at the right moment, pull him back away from the ball or nip in front.

Still looking to roll the ball back and turn and feint putting the defenders on their arse... but they're alert to it.

He needs to mix it up again.

But yeah. He could do with some decent service.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jan 2023 10:58

Actually after watching yesterday really not bothered about signing anyone, but keeping hold of Carroll and Mbengue important

Azeez looked creative, he can back up Ince. Dann looked good. Abrefa looked better than Hoilett has recently. TMc did ok in CM. We’ve tons of options everywhere tbh, and we’re not going to be able to sign anyone who is much cop

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 08 Jan 2023 11:29

Hound Actually after watching yesterday really not bothered about signing anyone, but keeping hold of Carroll and Mbengue important

Azeez looked creative, he can back up Ince. Dann looked good. Abrefa looked better than Hoilett has recently. TMc did ok in CM. We’ve tons of options everywhere tbh, and we’re not going to be able to sign anyone who is much cop

Pretty much agree with this. I wouldn’t be totally against someone like Clarke going out on loan and maybe signing Omari Hutchinson until the end of the season.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 08 Jan 2023 11:43

blythspartan
Hound Actually after watching yesterday really not bothered about signing anyone, but keeping hold of Carroll and Mbengue important

Pretty much agree with this. I wouldn’t be totally against someone like Clarke going out on loan and maybe signing Omari Hutchinson until the end of the season.

Omari Hutchinson is now on the bench for the Chelsea first team (he actually came on against Man City in midweek) so not sure if he is still available for loan any more.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jan 2023 12:19

Yeah.

And we should confirm safety relatively early, which means we can rotate a lot of the younger players in and out to see how they do blended with experience.

New signings will only block that.

Game time for the likes of Abrefa, Azeez, Craig, Clarke, Clarke, Camara, Tetek, Ehib, Leavy, Abbey, Andersson, CBC etc will be invaluable in assessing how much they can step up next season, getting them loans and deciding on contracts and priorities.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 08 Jan 2023 12:29

Snowflake Royal

Yeah.

And we should confirm safety relatively early, which means we can rotate a lot of the younger players in and out to see how they do blended with experience.

New signings will only block that.

Game time for the likes of Abrefa, Azeez, Craig, Clarke, Clarke, Camara, Tetek, Ehib, Leavy, Abbey, Andersson, CBC etc will be invaluable in assessing how much they can step up next season, getting them loans and deciding on contracts and priorities.

I agree, but although extremely unlikely, if we have any chance of making the playoffs I can’t see many of the youngsters getting game time.

Abrefa and Azeez did enough for me yesterday to be considered against QPR. Also, I have a sneaky feeling that Craig will develop into a really good player.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jan 2023 13:10

Yeah Craig looked handy. Bit of nastiness about him which I liked, and seems to have plenty of time on the ball which is a very basic way of judging that he’s got a bit of talent. One to keep an eye on certainly

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jan 2023 13:36

Firstly, boo play offs, boooo

Secondly, yeah seeming to have time on the ball is often a sign of awareness of surroundings and a good first touch. Neither of which I have sadly.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 08 Jan 2023 13:41

Hound Yeah Craig looked handy. Bit of nastiness about him which I liked, and seems to have plenty of time on the ball which is a very basic way of judging that he’s got a bit of talent. One to keep an eye on certainly

Yeah, he gives himself time and space on the ball, which is always a good sign. He reminds a bit me of Sidwell tbh.

313 posts