Who will we sign in the Summer ?

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Who will we sign in the Summer ?

by SteveRoyal » 09 Feb 2009 20:34

Sun Tzu Too many questions still to be answered to even make sensible guesses - and even then no one would actually make sensible guesses !

When we know what division we're in, who the manager is, who the owner is, who has been relegated, who else has been promoted, who we've released and who has asked for a move then we can take a look.

We won't go mad, but we'll obviously have to spend a reasonable amount. Assuming we get promoted it will be our most expensive summer ever and if we don't go up we'll take the most money we have ever had.

Agree with that part.

The last part I don't.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 09 Feb 2009 21:05

SteveRoyal
Sun Tzu Too many questions still to be answered to even make sensible guesses - and even then no one would actually make sensible guesses !

When we know what division we're in, who the manager is, who the owner is, who has been relegated, who else has been promoted, who we've released and who has asked for a move then we can take a look.

We won't go mad, but we'll obviously have to spend a reasonable amount. Assuming we get promoted it will be our most expensive summer ever and if we don't go up we'll take the most money we have ever had.

Agree with that part.

The last part I don't.

About taking the most money ever ? I suspect Doyle, Hunt, Harper, Bikey, Rosenior and Mateyovsky would rake in what, £25 million !!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 10 Feb 2009 07:06

Darren Powell, obviously.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 10 Feb 2009 15:23

we will sign a new manager along with tying down some of the oldies to a new contract, hopefully harper and doobs arent part of those

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 10 Feb 2009 16:54

Gary Johnstone will bring half the Brizzle City team with him including his short arsed son. Anyone who played for Brentford will be given to Cheltenham.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 10 Feb 2009 19:36

I forsee lots of comings and goings whatever happens.

The word reasonable means nothing- - exactly how much do you think we will spend? And yes we may well sell off our assets but one thing is for sure, if we have the current chairman, for the amount received a minute amount fo that will go out...he isnt going to change his hard line of spending - he wants out asap because he knows unless we spend £10-£15m at least, we'll be in a battle to stay up - we don't deal in those numbers!

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 10 Feb 2009 21:41

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

The word reasonable means nothing- - exactly how much do you think we will spend? And yes we may well sell off our assets but one thing is for sure, if we have the current chairman, for the amount received a minute amount fo that will go out...he isnt going to change his hard line of spending - he wants out asap because he knows unless we spend £10-£15m at least, we'll be in a battle to stay up - we don't deal in those numbers!

Yep, I could see us spending upwards of £10 million if we go up. Would hardly be excessive and certainly the sort of figure that Coppell would have available and not the sort of money that the chairman would find hard to deal with.

In the case of not going up then it's kind of given that we wouldn't spend everything that we got in for the players we let go. No club in that position would go and blow £20 million or more !!!!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Feb 2009 23:38

You're missing something significant in talking about how much we'll spend. Transfer fees are relatively small compared to wages.

A player who is on £25k a week is on £1.3M year. Add on NI and employment costs and that's a financial commitment of about £4.5 M over a 3 year contract.

Now do that for 3 or 4 players and that's a fair chunk of dosh - especially if a club is in danger of being relegated.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 11 Feb 2009 07:43

Although if you assume that incoming players are 'upgrades' rather than additions it's less of an issue. If we release 4 players who we think aren't going to be part of a Premiership side and bring in 4 who cost a fair bit in fees you can offset the wages etc of the outgoing players against the wages of the new ones. And I suspect the outgoing ones could be some quite long serving / relativley high earning players !

But it's a fair point.....

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 11 Feb 2009 10:25

Andranik Teymourian.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 11 Feb 2009 11:20

Tommy Svindal Larsson
Mark Kerr
Justin Walker
Mike Duff
Neil Tarrant
Ronnie Green

Harry Carry

by Harry Carry » 11 Feb 2009 12:06

I know Nigel Howe said Reading are interested Martinez to replace Coppell. Obviously certain factors come into the equation like Reading being promoted and Swansea staying in the Championship.

Another manager that was mentioned was the Doncaster manager.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 11 Feb 2009 12:21

Harry Carry I know Nigel Howe said Reading are interested Martinez to replace Coppell. Obviously certain factors come into the equation like Reading being promoted and Swansea staying in the Championship.

I'm pretty sure I read that the Donny manager will be taken the Chelsea job in the summer. Martinez would obviously be a good replacement for Coppell if he left though.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 11 Feb 2009 12:37

Harry Carry I know Nigel Howe said Reading are interested Martinez to replace Coppell. Obviously certain factors come into the equation like Reading being promoted and Swansea staying in the Championship.

Martinez is being linked with Pompey job - the fact that his name is amongst the pack means that he will be sought after amongst most clubs that in the "top tier" of the premiership.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 11 Feb 2009 12:38

Correction to previous post -

Martinez is being linked with Pompey job - the fact that his name is amongst the pack means that he will be sought after amongst most clubs that ARENT in the "top tier" of the premiership.[/quote]

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 11 Feb 2009 18:29

Alan Partridge Mark Kerr

Partnered by Mascio? With Sigpursson and Maderia up front?

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 11 Feb 2009 22:45

Dirk Gently You're missing something significant in talking about how much we'll spend. Transfer fees are relatively small compared to wages.

A player who is on £25k a week is on £1.3M year. Add on NI and employment costs and that's a financial commitment of about £4.5 M over a 3 year contract.

Now do that for 3 or 4 players and that's a fair chunk of dosh - especially if a club is in danger of being relegated.

You're missing the fact that if we sign players on that kind of money we will almost certainly include clauses for their wages to drop if we get relegated

If we stay in the Prem the commitment to the wages shouldnt be a problem. If we dont stay up those players on 25k will see their wages drop OR end up being sold (maybe at a profit, maybe at a loss)

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 Feb 2009 10:42

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

thats what they said the 1st time too sonny!

frankly im happy to build the club sustainably, ensuring wages dont outstrip gate receipts, to ensure the wages rise only in line with theclubs stature, and also happy to go up and down again, if it means keeping our youngsters, and slowly building a better team and stadium.

bunging 15-30 million at the team is the most short term tactic out there, and would result in a debt ridden team falling apart in the near future

fozziebear

by fozziebear » 14 Feb 2009 10:00

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... -21122462/

Do we really want him back? or should coppell let him stay on the Stoke bench.
I hope we give Alex pearce and Duberry with Bikey or Cisse covering.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 14 Feb 2009 13:13

fozziebear http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/02/14/reading-want-stoke-s-ibrahima-sonko-back-115875-21122462/

Do we really want him back? or should coppell let him stay on the Stoke bench.
I hope we give Alex pearce and Duberry with Bikey or Cisse covering.

No way should we re-sign Sonko. He was immense in our title winning season but has become a liability in recent seasons.