The Local Journo Thread

601 posts
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Feb 2019 13:32

sandman Love it. Two people in Gooding and Williams who played in that great McGhee team. A team who played better football than Gomes has managed to produce so far. They know what effective football is and what isn't.

You can only talk about the game that has gone on before. If it's been a poor result then they are going to talk about it.

Xenophobia accusations are ridiculous.

Well done on completely missing the fact we are talking about Tim Dellor...... What position did he play in the McGhee team?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 04 Feb 2019 14:35

sandman Love it. Two people in Gooding and Williams who played in that great McGhee team. A team who played better football than Gomes has managed to produce so far. They know what effective football is and what isn't.

You can only talk about the game that has gone on before. If it's been a poor result then they are going to talk about it.

No, that assertion is ridiculous. Why did Dellor repeatedly feel the need to preface manager and coaching staff with 'Portuguese' and owners with 'Chinese'? What has their nationality got to do with the position they hold? By all means moan (incorrectly imo) that Gomes had no knowledge of The Championship but keep it to that. Had the club appointed an Englishman or Scot who had no knowledge of The Championship, would Dellor have kept referring to them as an 'English manager' or a 'Scottish manager'?

Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Addict

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Feb 2019 14:38

RoyalBlue

No, that assertion is ridiculous. Why did Dellor repeatedly feel the need to preface manager and coaching staff with 'Portuguese' and owners with 'Chinese'? What has their nationality got to do with the position they hold? By all means moan (incorrectly imo) that Gomes had no knowledge of The Championship but keep it to that. Had the club appointed an Englishman or Scot who had no knowledge of The Championship, would Dellor have kept referring to them as an 'English manager' or a 'Scottish manager'?

The other week the style of Gomes' suits were mentioned 3 times. I can't remember BBC Berks mentioning Steve Clarke's or Clement's dress sense? They were implying he is well dressed because he is continental. Its just weird if not anything else.

genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by genome » 04 Feb 2019 15:25

RoyalBlue

+1. It's needless. I'm looking at you, strap.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Feb 2019 16:31

Agree, think they've been overly negative. Everyone feels bad enough, don't make them feel worse.
And yes, grading Gomes' leather shoes, references to Portuguese wine, and saying 'I'll have a bottle of mateus rose!'

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Maneki Neko » 04 Feb 2019 17:18

there are agendas clearly at play, imo
that's what grates.

he is still going on about gomes being appointed and how that is the wrong decision.

everything is now linked back to that, every negative result is now due to gomes. away draws are now the worst possible results, and all down to gomes, the players are making mistakes and that's gomes. every substitution gomes makes is some sort of affront to footballing logic.
etc etc etc

it is what it is tim. your position is on record. move on.

Basildon

by Basildon » 06 Feb 2019 12:51

JLow suggesting Mannone's on his way to Minnesota United on loan for the rest of the year.

Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Addict

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Feb 2019 13:04

J'Low has a strong and stable WiFi connection for sure.

Hound
Hob Nob Addict

by Hound » 06 Feb 2019 13:47

JLow on the ball again

Good move for all parties that, pleased to see it. Hope it all goes through, and understandable now why there was no huge rush to push him out in the Jan window

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 12 Feb 2019 06:33

Maneki Neko used to enjoy radio berks commentary

cannot stand it now. rights or wrongs of ady/mick and dellors opinions aside, its not much fun to listen to constant negativity

Careful, they might read that on here and lay in to you next, I think I was the first to receive the barrels from Tim after asking for at least one of them to try and put a positive look to things, a few weeks back now. Made me lol that he was so rattled but then I did have to question why in the name of god I was messaging BBC Berks in the first place.

TBF to them, this week was much better to listen to overall, they seem to have come round to Gomes a little bit on the basis of clean sheets. Still sniping at him from time to time though.

Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Addict

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Feb 2019 08:12

10539.4 Miles Away

cannot stand it now. rights or wrongs of ady/mick and dellors opinions aside, its not much fun to listen to constant negativity

Careful, they might read that on here and lay in to you next, I think I was the first to receive the barrels from Tim after asking for at least one of them to try and put a positive look to things, a few weeks back now. Made me lol that he was so rattled but then I did have to question why in the name of god I was messaging BBC Berks in the first place.

TBF to them, this week was much better to listen to overall, they seem to have come round to Gomes a little bit on the basis of clean sheets. Still sniping at him from time to time though.

They have been clearly told to cool it imo. Dellor was 100x more laid back than normal and seemed to be quite happy with the display near the end.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 12 Feb 2019 17:21

Old Man Andrews
10539.4 Miles Away

They have been clearly told to cool it imo. Dellor was 100x more laid back than normal and seemed to be quite happy with the display near the end.

Yep, way different this week, night and day difference. Thought to myself either someone has had a word, or they've been reading HNA? (or both). On the face of it, it shouldn't have been much different to the draws against Villa and Bolton, yet their approach and delivery had changed. Warmer, softer, and more positive and supportive throughout.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Feb 2019 20:02

So, Dellor gets the hna crucifixion for not being ‘investigative’ enough, running scared of asking the questions even.

Now he’s ok, being mild, meek and respectful to his interveiwees.

Jeez

Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Addict

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Feb 2019 21:06

AthleticoSpizz So, Dellor gets the hna crucifixion for not being ‘investigative’ enough, running scared of asking the questions even.

Now he’s ok, being mild, meek and respectful to his interveiwees.

Jeez

It has nothing to do with interviews if you read what is being said. It is to with what he is saying when commentating and pre match. To Gomes's face he is one thing and then behind his back he is another. He has slagged Gomes off non stop since he arrived here.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Feb 2019 08:43

Fair enough, but msy I suggest that some folk are listening to the radio too much and are maybe hearing what they “want” to hear. Tbf, from the snippets that I’ve heard there is passion there with both lslagging” and praise.

Just my opinion of course.......

Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Addict

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Feb 2019 08:55

It went beyond what is acceptable for me but everyone has their own thresholds. Before his first game at Millwall, Dellor was saying things like "Jose Gomes would normally be on the beach about now so how will he cope with the conditions in South London" and Ady Williams referencing Gomes' "fancy Italian suits". Just sounded really stupid and borderline offensive. It was clear to me Radio Berkshire didn't get their man in Phil Parkinson, they wanted him there as they would have had great access to the club through Ady and Mick's connection to Parky and thus they went into a sulk about it for a month. As has been mentioned they have noticeably softened their approach now, the backlash on social media has rocked them.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Feb 2019 13:29

Okaydokey...I am only going-on what I’ve heard, the “beach” and ”suits” things sound a little bit tongue-in-cheek to me, but maybe there was something malicious in their comments.

Fwiw, I’m glad we didn’t take Parky onboard from the get-go, maybe the BBCB team are warming to that too....if of course they were championing a hit and miss manager in the first place.

Yellowcoat2

by Yellowcoat2 » 13 Feb 2019 15:58

Must say I agree that they were far too negative with their comments, with a nasty edge to them sometimes, over a number of weeks. So much so that when I was travelling to a football game elsewhere I actually switched radio channels in the car to avoid hearing anymore. I commented about this on an online BBC survey I was sent & I suspect they received a lot more feedback from many others. Hence the recent change in tone I suspect.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 13 Feb 2019 16:07

AthleticoSpizz Okaydokey...I am only going-on what I’ve heard, the “beach” and ”suits” things sound a little bit tongue-in-cheek to me, but maybe there was something malicious in their comments.

Fwiw, I’m glad we didn’t take Parky onboard from the get-go, maybe the BBCB team are warming to that too....if of course they were championing a hit and miss manager in the first place.

Personally, if things were going relatively well, and they were praising Gomes as well as criticising them, stuff like that could definitely be seen as tongue-in-cheek. But set against the overall negative approach and it just seems like Gomes' nationality was being used as another stick to beat him with. So, yeah, seemed xenophobic to me.

Like, it's grand for your friends to call you an eejit, but it's an entirely different feel if it's your enemy.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Feb 2019 16:15

I'm hoping that we’re friends Muirinho 8)

601 posts