News and Views

Club Confirm Jose Gomes Departure

09 October 2019
By Hob Nob Anyone?

After it was widely reported throughout yesterday, Reading Football Club have officially released a statement to confirm the departure of manager Jose Gomes. The brief statement confirms that the club took the decision to sack Gomes after a return of just two wins from the opening 11 games of the new Championship season. There is no news just yet on who the club intend to bring in to replace Gomes, although former Wales, Blackburn Rovers, Manchester City, Fulham, Queens Park Rangers, Stoke City and Southampton manager Mark Hughes remains favourite:

Reading Football Club can announce that Jose Gomes has left his position as first team manager.

Gomes joined the club at the end of December 2018 and successfully steered the club away from the threat of relegation.

However, following just two wins in the first 11 league games in 2019-20, owner Mr Yongge Dai has made the difficult decision to part company with Gomes and make a change at first team level.

We would like to sincerely thank Jose for his hard work during his tenure as manager at Reading Football Club and we wish him the very best of luck in his future career.

The club will make no additional comment at this time but will provide further updates as soon as possible.

Discussion On This Story:

WoodleyRoyal

» 05 Oct 2019 17:08

Fans getting restless, should he go now? International break coming up....

Sutekh

» 05 Oct 2019 17:22

It’s that the style of play just is not suitable for the English second division. Trying to play like Liverpool when the players don’t seem fit enough and there just isn't the pace in the squad is plainly ridiculous.

Tough start yes, but constant defeats against workmanlike (Charlton, Blackburn) and poor (Hull, Middlesbrough) sides as well as anyone half decent isn’t really acceptable. The home form is unforgivable and rampant Preston are next up.

The only question is whether the club can afford the removal of JG and his two sidekicks and then the hiring of his replacement.

Personally think he’ll be given until the November international break unless there are some very alarming scorelines (eg. Preston running riot in 2 weeks could be the final straw).

Hound

» 05 Oct 2019 17:28

It’s not working. Seen nothing to suggest it is going to work

Give a new man time to turn the season round

genome

» 05 Oct 2019 17:29

Where's the "shake it all about" option?

tidus_mi2

» 05 Oct 2019 17:32

I'm in the Out camp now, I like what he did last season and the positivity he brought to the fans but that is well and truly eroding away and I don't think he's going to find the way of playing to get us climbing up the league, I would sack him and get Hughton in if he wants the job, a proven, successfully Championship manager.

Zip

» 05 Oct 2019 17:33

In but as I mentioned after Fulham he has to scrap the current style of play and start again and go back to basics, If this lot cant play a pressing game because they aren’t fit enough they can oxf*rd off.

Hound

» 05 Oct 2019 17:37

Would he, or even can he?

I don’t even particularly care if we press if we decide to have a solid formation instead and play deeper. We do neither

sandman

» 05 Oct 2019 17:38

With regret I've changed my opinion to out.

Notts Royal

» 05 Oct 2019 17:40

What I want to see is a manager who can work with the players he inherits (Coppell, Pardew & Brian did this). Is that too much to ask nowadays?!

Zip

» 05 Oct 2019 17:44

I do wonder what on earth is going on in training. On Tuesday night I commented to my lad that I could not believe we had Swift marking Mitrovic from a corner. WTF is all that about?

Gunny Fishcake

» 05 Oct 2019 17:44

The lovely man, wonderful persona bollocks has well gone , results speak for themselves . We are in total freefall and probably should get rid of him but I doub't if Jesus Christ could turn this shambles around.

If think we need to go down to rebuild and start all over again as the championship is proving far too tough for this bunch of prima donnas

Oilroyal

» 05 Oct 2019 18:04

Managerial surgery urgently needed. 1pt from a possible 18. Football is a simple game, why do we make it so technical and complicated?

He needs to go